Welcome statement


Parting Words from Moristotle (07/31/2023)
tells how to access our archives
of art, poems, stories, serials, travelogues,
essays, reviews, interviews, correspondence….

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Sunday Review: Bach's St. John Passion at the 2013 Boulder Festival

Cantor Rick Erickson
Stunned by the deep silence

By Chuck Smythe

The Boulder Bach Festival is always a musical marathon. As always, we had four back-to-back, 3-4 hour rehearsals leading up to the festival. It was followed by performances at St. Johns Cathedral, Denver, and Mountain View Methodist, Boulder. Then I went home, had a scotch, and slept for twelve hours.
    The conductor, Rick Erickson, is music director at Trinity Church, NY. He is a formidable musical scholar and—unlike many Maestri—a pleasant person to work with. He chose to do the work as closely as possible to Bach’s performance practice. We performed (and rehearsed throughout) at a pitch of A=415 Hz, the standard three hundred years ago. The orchestra was just twelve instruments, nearly all of 18th century design. Some sections were performed with Violas de Amore, the first I’d ever seen. They performed standing, also a first in my experience. The alto arias were performed by a counter tenor, one perfectly comfortable singing alto. (Though I’ve performed with several, I still find this a bit startling). The principle bass, Joe Damon Chappel, is one of the best I’ve heard.
    Throughout, Rick constantly insisted on clear articulation (no mean feat in Bach counterpoint!) and a clear dramatic understanding of the chorus’ character at any moment (mob, innocent bystanders, Roman soldiers, pompous priests...). Both of the major extant Bach Passions are difficult in this respect; we are constantly switching character and affect, from religious guilt to mob fury. This is emotionally exhausting, but it made the Passion a deeply emotional drama, not just a concert piece. At the death of Jesus, Rick stopped the performance for several minutes of deep silence. The audience kept silent—I think they were a little stunned.
    Only one musical complaint: the great bass aria, “Golgatha,” was taken at a ferocious tempo, almost unperformable. Joe was up to it, but I’m not sure the chorus was. During the second performance, Joe was losing his voice, but somehow managed greatness anyway. Then Rick relented and had Adam Ewing, our Jesus, sing the last bass aria. Good thing. I doubt that Joe had a limerick left in him at that point.
    This performance raised again an issue the Bach Festival has addressed before: both of the Bach Passions are viciously anti-Semitic. Bach wasn’t especially so, he just was of his time and place. Once many years ago we debated whether to ever perform the St. John again because of this. I argued that we cannot turn our backs on our cultural heritage in the name of political correctness. Every time I have to sing this evil, though, I wonder if I’m right.
    For any interested, here is a review: "Boulder Bach Festival: St. John Passion overflows with emotion."
_______________
Copyright © 2013 by Chuck Smythe

Please comment

11 comments:

  1. Several minutes of deep silence. Incredible. I would have to have been there to believe this. Did anyone time it precisely?
        THANKS for the review, perfect for Easter on the Christian calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have been there. A great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chuck, it is beyond the capabilities of my feeble brain to fathom why on earth you would take time away from skiing and hiking for such an arduous undertaking as this, but I salute your perseverance and drive to live a well-rounded life - and your eloquence in describing the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moto,

      It has nothing to do with a well-rounded life, whatever that is. I read The Economist for that. The easy reason I do this is that I've been making music all my life, and love it at least as much as travelling in the wilderness. To feel the love, I have to do the best music I can find, with all the art I can muster. Hence all the work.
      The hard reason is this: four times in my life I've experienced transendence through music, and I'm trying hard to find the way back. No, I can't really explain it. That, though, is my real purpose in life.

      Delete
    2. To readers all: You can look forward to more information about those four experiences of transcendence through music in Monday's article..."more information," but as the author admits, not nearly as much as you—or he—might wish.

      Delete
  4. Chuck, describing someone as a "renaissance man" is usually a cliche, but in your case I think the term may actually fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly. My own take is: "You can have a great job, a great hobby, and a great family life. Pick any two." I.e. this obsession is costing me...
      BTW, on my most recent venture in the backcountry, I met Mike Lanza. Said he was an editor at Outside. Do you know him?

      Delete
  5. Going two for three would probably get you a billion-dollar contract with the Yankees...

    Years ago, from a trip through the Northwest and Alaska, I knew a Michael Lanza who was a book author and editor with 'Backpacker' magazine. It could be the same guy and he has made a leap to 'Outside' magazine.

    So how was the back-country venture? Will you be posting an article about it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I got it wrong. He's still with Backpacker. Pleasant guy, out with a family group of six or so. Had lots of nice gear.

      I'll be reporting on the trip as soon as my accomplice Ed gives me the photos.

      Speaking of the Northwest, our next trip, in mid-summer, will be out that way. I have to figure out a target (probably in eastern Oregon, but whatever). Got a hot suggestion?

      Delete
  6. If I remember correctly, he wrote a very highly regarded book about raising children to be outdoorsy and adventurous.

    The blogosphere is eagerly awaiting writing and photos!

    Now that I again do most of my traveling by motorcycle, I try to avoid the Northwest unless I can catch "dry" season: Wet roads are not my friends. British Columbia is further away than you are planning, but is one of the greatest places I've ever been. Even lesser known spots, like Kleanza Creek, in "spirit bear" realm, are quietly spectacular.

    In Eastern Oregon, Hell's Canyon Scenic Byway is a heck of a ride (or drive), with all kinds of enticements along the way, although I don't know about the hiking. On my brief trip through there, the Wallowa Lake region seemed a great place to go back and spend some time someday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chuck, I enjoyed reading your post! I actually got to hear a live performance (VERY well-done) of the entire St. John Passion here in Greensboro, NC a few of weeks ago. It's not something you get to hear live very often. It's a beautiful work, for sure, and I can appreciate the many hours it takes to put together a work like this. I'm glad that you hinted that Bach himself was not especially anti-Semitic. This was discussed among some musicians here in Greensboro, and it's important to remember that Bach was obliged to set the bibilical text that was placed before him, as translated by Martin Luther, the founder of his protestant faith. The issue of anti-Semitism over the St. John Passion, as I understand it, lies mostly in the text of St. John, as compared to the synoptic gospels, and not in any evidence of the actual personal attitude of J. S. Bach. We know that Bach also set the synoptic gospels to music (of these, only the St. Matthew Passion survives).

    ReplyDelete